Student Affairs Celebrates Diversity
Student Affairs Statement on Diversity
As such, we strive to create an atmosphere and institutional culture which is welcoming to all individuals, inclusive of their race, ethnicity, religion, spirituality, gender, gender identity/expression, age, sexual orientation, ability/disability, socioeconomic class, and national origin.
At Illinois, we create a welcoming environment. Therefore, we as Student Affairs staff:
* Enhance, develop, and maintain structures and services committed to diversity.
* Build cross-cultural relationships that bridge traditional campus boundaries.
* Respect spaces that allow for the support and development of specific identities and communities.
* Solicit feedback frequently and respond to the various needs of students and other stakeholders.
At Illinois, we contribute to the cultural education of students. Therefore, we as Student Affairs staff:
* Encourage students to examine their responsibilities in a multicultural society.
* Engage students in experiences that educate them about the value of their history and perspectives while inviting them to learn more about the histories and perspectives of others.
* Provide services that offer students opportunities to build relationships that cross cultural boundaries.
At Illinois, we recognize and develop our own cultural understanding. Therefore, we as Student Affairs staff:
* Engage in self-reflection towards a deeper sense of the perspectives and experiences of others.
* Challenge each other to engage in meaningful dialogue with colleagues and students to create a campus climate of respect and fairness.
* Provide and participate in regular professional development to enhance our abilities to serve a diverse student body.